Candle Care & Safety

Candles can be dangerous! its extremely important you use them in a safe manner, Please read the below before lighting your candles.

Important Safety Information:

  • Keep Out of Reach of Children & Pets.
  • Do Not leave your lit candle unattended.
  • Place Candle on a sturdy, heat proof surface away from clothes, bedding & flammable objects
  • Do not light your candle if it is damaged in anyway
  • Keep away from Fans & Vents
  • Stop using candle when the wax is 2-3cm from the bottom
  • If burning candles side by side allow at least 10cm between each vessel.
  • Store away from direct sunlight and heat.


Caring for your candle is important to get the most out of your candle. See our tips below to ensure you can enjoy your candle for as long and safely as possible.

Cotton Wick Care Tips:

The First Burn is the most important! 

When burning your candle for the first time aim to burn until the wax melt reaches all the outside edges - ideal burn time is 3 - 4 hrs, this is to avoid tunneling (Built up wax around the outer edges of the jar). Soy wax creates a memory if you do not burn to the outside edges, the wax will only ever melt to the point of the first burn reducing the burn time of the candle.


Keep your wick trimmed! 
Ensure that the candles wick is always kept approximately 3-5mm long. We recommend trimming the wick after every burn. Always extinguish the flame, let the candle cool down to room temperature, remove any wick debris and trim the wick before relighting. it is normal for cotton wicks to mushroom. your candle may burn hotter if you do not trim the wick between burns reducing the over all burn time. Avoid cutting your wick to short as this will make relighting your candle difficult.


Putting out your candle! 
When it is time to extinguish your candle, we highly recommend using a snuffer, Blowing out a candle is not recommended as the liquid wax may splatter and the wick may continue to glow and emit smoke. Do not be tempted to put the flame out with the lid of the candle as this will cause smoke damage to the lid and may cause excess smoke. 

Wood Wick Care Tips:

Ensure your wick is trimmed but not to Short!
Trimming down 1-3mm above the wax each time you light your candle, If the wood is trimmed too short, the wax can’t make it to the flame and your candle won’t stay lit, if you do not trim your wick you may notice the flame is larger then it should be & the wax blacken due to the burn wick falling off into wax whilst burning - this will reduce the overall burn time of your candle.

Light it Up!
The best way to light a wooden wick is to tilt the candle on an angle and let the flame draw across the length of the wick, you will know if your wick is too short if the wax drowns the flame, to fix this you will need to scoop out some wax around the wick so it can burn correctly.

Give your candle enough burning time!
This is to ensure the melted wax reaches the edge of the jar to establish “wax memory” on first use. This can take up to 4 hours.

Put your candle out with care!
See above 
Note: it is normal for some wax discoloration after a few burns when using woodwicks. to reduce this ensure your wick is trimmed before each burn. 

Crystal Candles Care:
Crystals can withstand the heat of the candle, should you wish to burn your candle with the crystals still in the wax you can do so at your own risk.

Sweet as Mae recommends that you remove larger crystals before burning to avoid any risk of damage. 

How to clean your crystal:
Depending on the type of crystal you have chosen for your candle, will depend in the cleaning method - not all crystals like water.
Cleaning your water safe crystals: Amethyst, Aventurine, Howlite, Moonstone, Rose Quartz & Smokey Quartz.
We recommend gently removing any built up wax by scraping it off with your fingers or paper towel, then using warm (Not Hot) soapy water, gently wash with your hands to remove any wax residue, dry and polish with a soft cloth.

Cleaning your non water safe crystals: Black Obsidian, Fluorite, Opalite, Rhodonite & Turquoise.
We recommend gently removing any built up wax by scraping it off with your fingers or paper towel, then wrap your crystals in paper towel or cloth and rub together allowing the warmth from your hands to remove any wax residue, finish by polishing with a clean soft cloth.

Wax Melt Safety Tips:

When melting any type of wax melts its important that you do not leave them near children or pets, although melts are generally considered safer then candles the wax still melts at a temperature that can cause burns if it touches the skin.
If you're using a tealight burner we recommend you follow the above tips on candle burning before lighting a tealight candle.

Discarding Used Melts 
When changing your melts its important to do so with care. there are a number of ways to do this:

1. Wait for wax to reset and gently scoop the wax out of the dish with a spoon

2. Slightly melt the reset wax so it slides out with easy. you can do this by lighting a candle (if using a tealight burner) or turning on your warmer for about 1-2 minutes until the wax slides out of the dish, you only want to melt the bottom of the wax, be extremely cautious doing this to ensure your hands to not touch the dish as this maybe hot.
(All warmers and Tealight burners are different please refer to the manufatures guidelines if needed)

TIPS:
It is normal for Soy Wax to appear rough, frosted, slightly lumpy or change colour slightly after burning, this is because there is no additives - this is cosmetic and will not affect the scent or how the candle burns

If your candle is burning unevenly, adjust wick to back to the center of the jar & ensure you are allowing the candle to burn completely to the edge of the jar.

If you notice your candle jar has some blackening after burning, allow jar to cool completely and  wipe away with a damp cloth - to avoid this ensure your wick is trimmed and you do not exceed a 3-4 hr burn time.